This is seriously the best vegan chili I’ve ever made. I adapted it from my mom’s turkey chili recipe to be vegan and then added some of my favorite ingredients like quinoa, fire-roasted tomatoes and sriracha for a really easy and delicious chili recipe that will last you all week.
- 1 Tablespoon light olive oil
- 1 1/2 Cups chopped onion
- 1 large or 2 smaller chopped red peppers, seeded
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Teaspoon oregano
- 1 Tbsp sriracha hot pepper sauce (2 tbsp if you like spicy chili… I used 2)
- 1 Can (11.5 oz.) V-8® vegetable juice
- 1 Can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 32 oz jug of vegetable broth
- 1 Can (16 oz. size) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Can (16 oz. size) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can fire roasted stewed tomatoes
- 1 package of organic mexican soy-rizzo or Field Roast chipotle sausage (optional- it adds a really great kick to it)
- 1-1/2 Cups vegan cheeze
- A few tortilla chips to crumble on top
In a large Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, chopped peppers, chili powder, oregano, and hot pepper sauce. Cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring two to four times.
Add the vegetable juice, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and vegetable broth. Bring to a low boil and simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
Stir in the quinoa, black beans and kidney beans and cook for 15 minutes longer.
Ladle into individual bowls and top each serving with shredded vegan cheese, crumbled tortilla chips and a little extra sriracha (only if you love spicy food of course). Enjoy!