Green smoothies are a great way to get lots of vitamins, minerals and some veggies to boot in one glass. I love drinking green smoothies for a quick breakfast or sometimes I’ll even have one for dinner.
How to make a good green smoothie:
- Protein! Try vegan brown rice or hemp protein powders (my favorite brands are Plant Fusion and Vega One)
- Liquid! Almond milk, rice milk, coconut water, purified water
- Fruit! Banana, pineapple, peaches, mango, apple, kiwi… light colored fruits will keep it green, but don’t be scared of throwing some frozen berries in there (which will turn the smoothie more purple/brown)
- Dark greens! Fresh spinach and fresh kale leaves are my favorite, use a couple of handfuls to really turn that smoothie green.
- Sweetner! (optional) I actually don’t use anything to sweeten my smoothies… the fruit is good enough for me, but feel free to add a dash of agave or stevia if you need a little more.
My favorite green smoothie recipe is:
- 1 scoop of vegan vanilla-flavored protein powder
- 12 oz unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 banana
- 3/4 cup frozen pineapple or peaches
- 2 handfuls of rinsed fresh spinach
Put all of the ingredients in a blender and blend baby, blend!