Who doesn’t love pesto? This recipe uses walnuts instead of pine nuts (gotta get those omega 3-‘s) and nutritional yeast instead of traditional cheese- perfect for anyone who doesn’t eat dairy. Grow some basil or buy a bunch at your farmer’s market or local grocer and make a batch of pesto! Whatever you don’t use you can freeze for 2- 3 months (store in freezer-proof bags or tightly sealed tupperware).
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves (packed)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (I used 1/2- I like a little salt in my pesto pasta, if you don’t use less)
- Pepper (optional, to taste)
Combine basil leaves, walnuts, olive oil and garlic cloves in your food processor and pulse approximately 1 minute ( you want a smooth consistency). Add nutritional yeast and salt (and a little pepper if you like) and continue to pulse for another 30 seconds, or until all ingredients are blended smoothly together. Serve over your favorite pasta (pictured is a gluten-free brown rice rotini pasta).